BritBox UK says the number of homes now able to watch the service on the biggest screen in the house has reached 15 million following the addition of Amazon Fire TV.
BritBox is now widely accessible on TV streaming devices adding Amazon Fire TV, to Apple TV and Google Chromecast, as well as through an extensive range of Smart TVs from manufacturers including recent models from Samsung, Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC, Hitachi, Bush and more.
Any BritBox UK customer who downloaded the app on Fire TV before the official launch may need to update it for it to work (see below).
BritBox will be adding support for YouView and all remaining Freeview Play Smart TVs that haven’t yet got the app in the next few months. The service is also available to watch on PC & Mac at britbox.co.uk and via Apple and Android smartphones and tablets.
The streaming service which is led by ITV, with the BBC holding a 10% stake and partners with Channels 4 and 5, offers the biggest box of British box sets with the finest home-grown talent, including; Top Gear, Downton Abbey, Happy Valley and Gavin & Stacey, with many box sets including Cold Feet, Classic Doctor Who, Only Fools and Horses, Shetland and Broadchurch exclusive to the service.
A selection of vintage episodes of Coronation Street have also recently been added to the service.
BritBox says it also offers “expert curation” and playlists that will enable TV fans to “easily find programmes they know and discover new favourites via the web, mobile, tablet, and connected TVs”.
Channel 4 content will arrive on the service later this year.
The service has had a number of teething problems since its launch late last year, with the most recent taking place on Thursday evening when the service went down for a couple of hours.
Updating the BritBox UK Amazon Fire TV if you got the app before its official launch
- Switch on your Fire TV and go to the home menu.
- Scroll down to the row marked either Your Apps & Channels, Your Apps & Games or Recent. If the app isn’t listed, scroll right and choose See All.
- Highlight the app image and press the menu button (three-line icon) on your remote.
- Highlight More Info and click the remote.
- If an update is available, a new option will appear next to Open. Clicking it will bring up a prompt to confirm downloading and installing the update.
- If no update is available, you won’t see any special notifications. Feel free to start binge-watching BritBox shows and films!
- Source: BritBox UK