Sky’s integrated TV set will be available to subscribers in the Republic of Ireland from the end of August, allowing viewers to access Sky without a satellite dish.
Sky Glass will officially launch on Thursday 25th August 2022, but users can already express their interest now. It’s part of a European rollout of the internet TV service, which originally debuted last October in the UK.
The Sky Glass TV receives its signals from Sky’s new internet based TV platform, allowing viewers to ditch the dish and standalone receiver.
But following its launch in the UK, Sky Glass has been criticised for limitations created by cloud recording. The service also doesn’t offer the same set of TV channels as the satellite TV service. At launch, viewers only found out about the limited channel choice after receiving their TV.
Available in a range of sizes and colours, Sky Glass is the only TV with Sky built-in. Sky says viewers just need to plug, pair and play to enjoy up to 4K UHD/HDR picture quality and cinematic sound.
Speaking about Sky Glass launching in Ireland, Sky Ireland CEO, JD Buckley, said:
“Following its hugely successful launch in the UK, we are thrilled to announce that Ireland will be the second market to launch Sky Glass. The launch of Sky Glass here marks a significant milestone in Sky’s 25-year history in Ireland and follows our recent announcement that Sky Mobile is coming to Ireland in 2023, as well as the opening of our four new flagship retail stores.
“Investing in the best technology, the best content and the best customer experience are always our top priorities and Sky Glass is the most innovative product we have developed yet. It opens the world of Sky to customers who may not have been able to access Sky TV before now. With the ability to stream the best content and apps over WiFi, Sky Glass features Ultra HD, Quantum Dot technology and 360° Dolby Atmos® sound. Sky Glass will be available in Ireland from August 25th, but we are giving customers the opportunity to pre-register for Sky Glass now.”
Sizes and colours
Sky Glass is available in three sizes (Small 43”, Medium 55” and Large 65”) and five colours:
- Ocean blue,
- Ceramic white,
- Racing green,
- Dusky pink, or
- Anthracite black,
…with matching remote and speaker fascia. It has a mounting bracket integrated into the TV, or a sleek colour matched stand.
Sky Glass Republic of Ireland Pricing Arrangements
- Customers can buy Sky Glass by paying in full up front or by spreading the cost with interest-free monthly payments.
- In the Republic, Sky Glass will start from as little as €15 per month for the 43” Sky Glass TV. For just €5 more, you can increase the size of your TV to a 55″ inch model. The 65” Sky Glass TV is available for €26 per month. The Whole Home pack puts Sky Glass inside any TV using the Sky Stream Puck for €19 per month.
- The total cost of subscription will depend on the Sky channel package being taken. Without an active Sky subscription, most of the TV’s functionality will become dormant.
Sky Glass comes with a full two-year warranty and a free delivery service that includes unboxing and packaging removal.
- Customers can pre-register for Sky Glass now on www.sky.ie/skyglass.
- From August 25th, Sky Glass will be available to order through all of Sky’s customer channels – online, through Sky’s contact centre and in any Sky retail store.