ITV has updated users on the progress of the rollout of ITVX. Since yesterday, ITVX has popped up on a number of devices well before the official launch date. But Premium access is still limited.
The current ITV Hub app is being updated to ITVX across various platforms.
As of now, the full ITVX experience, including all Premium content is now available on
• Android TV
• NOW Smart Sticks and Boxes
• Roku Streaming Players
• Samsung Smart TVs (2016 and above)
• Sky Glass and Sky Stream puck
• Web Browsers
• Xbox One/S/X and Xbox Series X/S
Other devices will vary – with some users still only seeing the ITV Hub and others telling RXTV they’ve got ITVX, albeit at the moment just a rebadged ITV Hub without all the features.
What’s included in ITVX Premium?
For £5.99 a month, subscribers get additional content (for example from the BritBox service) and the ability to watch the majority of content from the ITVX video-on-demand library without advertising breaks.
Subject to licensing restrictions, ITV also offers the option to temporarily download programmes on the mobile versions of the ITVX app, so you can watch shows when you have no or poor connection to the internet.
ITVX Device List
By the time the service officially launches on 8th December, ITVX will be available on these devices:
Mobile, tablets, PC
- Android (version 5.0 Lollipop or later, excluding Nexus 7, Lenovo M10, Hudl, Kindle 3rd gen)
- Apple iOS (version 12 or above)
Computers and laptops running Windows 8 and above or Mac 10.12 and above: you’ll need to use the latest version of the one of the following browsers:
- Microsoft Edge
Connected TV devices
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android TV: Sony Android and Chromecast with Google TV
- Freesat (but not older Freesat devices)
- Freeview Play
- NOW TV
- Samsung Smart TVs (Tizen)
- Sky Glass/Stream
- Virgin V6
- Virgin TV360
- Virgin Media Stream
- YouView (excluding first generation boxes)
- YouView Sony
ITV hasn’t yet confirmed arrangements for Sky satellite receivers yet.
- Nvidia Shield
- Xbox One
- Xbox Series S
- Xbox Series X
Known issues / bugs so far…
- Google Pixel C – no video playback. This is due to cookies not being passed on to the app. A factory reset will resolve this.
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 – lagging videos. A problem not just affecting ITVX but other video-on-demand apps. Contact Samsung for support or follow the troubleshooting steps on Samsung’s website.
- Sony YouView TV: YV Service Host issue. ITV has provided a troubleshooting guide on its website.
- Chromecast and Nvidia Shield: ITVX has acknowledged technical issues and says it is working on a fix.
- Samsung Smart TVs: a new version of the app is being pushed to devices to fix a problem with the app loading.
- Programme not available on this platform error: ITV does not have the streaming rights for this programme, or there is a technical reason. In the case of teleshopping strands on ITV’s channels, the slight delay between live TV and online streaming means these can’t be streamed on ITVX.
- ITV1 live stream or on-demand programmes not available: availability of ITV1 is linked to your postcode. If you are in Scotland, you will need to access ITV1 programmes through the STV Player, or change your postcode to one located in another part of the UK.
Availability outside of the UK
- Streaming is officially only available within the UK, although many will use a VPN to get around this. Geo-blocking applies to users outside of the UK. ITVX Premium users can download programmes to watch before they leave the UK.
“Full ITVX experience” devices updated 18/11/22 20:45, 21/11/2022 09:41, 29/11/2022 09:27 and 02/12/2022 17:07 as ITV updated their device list and new bugs emerged.