The addition of 14 new themed channels, available at no extra cost to Virgin Media TV users, blurs the line between traditional and streaming channels.
- The channels arrived on Virgin’s Electronic Programme Guide at just after midnight on Tuesday 1st August.
- Many of the new channels now available were previously only available through streaming apps, notably Pluto TV, which rolled out across further Virgin Media boxes earlier in the summer.
- However, viewers can now find the channels directly in the main Virgin Media channel list between channel 220 and 252, with room for more to come.
- Virgin Media users with TiVo boxes won’t be able to see these channels in their channel list.
TV favourites including Deal or No Deal USA, Fear Factor and Baywatch are now available to Virgin Media TV customers via dedicated streaming channels, offering a ‘lean back’ viewing experience so they can dip in and out as they please.
The new channels combine traditional TV viewing with streaming, with pre-programmed ad breaks in between set schedules so customers always know what to expect when they tune in. Viewers can enjoy shows they know and love within the format of streamed programming that many have become accustomed to, with no subscription to any of the channels required.
To make room for the extra channels, Virgin Media reshuffled its channel list last month.
▶ The new streaming channels, now available on the Virgin Media UK channel list
Not available on TiVo
- 220 Inside Crime UK
- 221 Real Wild
- 222 Mystery TV
- 223 HauntTV
- 224 History Hit
- 230 Homes Under The Hammer
- 231 Great British Menu
- 232 Tastemade
- 242 NextUp Live Comedy
- 243 Chat Show Channel
- 244 Baywatch
- 250 Deal or No Deal USA
- 251 Fear Factor
- 252 Wipeout Xtra
RXTV understands additional channels will soon follow, including 5 Cops, the crime spin-off channel from Channel 5, currently distributed on Pluto TV.
David Bouchier, Chief TV and Entertainment Officer at Virgin Media O2, said:
“As viewing habits evolve and the sources of great programming multiply, we’re enhancing our TV offering to add streamed thematic channels. The new channels will elevate our customers viewing experience, providing a clear destination for some of Britain’s most recognised TV shows that we know our customers love. Whether it’s comedy, crime or cookery they’re after, our customers can now tune into extra entertainment, on us.”