Viaplay has now launched in the UK, combining content from Premier Sports, FreeSports with its own library of sports, drama and films.
Its TV channels will continue to be available on platforms including Sky, Virgin Media, Amazon and Netgem while the Viaplay app will be available on a range of mobiles, tablets and smart TVs.
What’s available on Viaplay?
- UEFA EURO and FIFA World Cup played by the Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland men’s national football teams, along with the UEFA Nations League and friendlies, until 2028.
- Over 1,000 UEFA international matches from across Europe, including top-ranked teams such as Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal and Spain.
- Other football: LaLiga, Scottish Cup, Scottish League Cup and Coppa Italia football;
- Rugby: BKT United Rugby Championship, Rugby Football League and TOP 14 rugby;
- Ice Hockey: NHL, IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship, Champions Hockey League and Elite Ice Hockey League;
- Other sports: CEV volleyball; KSW mixed martial arts; EHF handball; ISU figure skating and speed skating; World Athletics Continental Tour Gold and Indoor Tour.
Viaplay Films and Series
Films and Series is included with the sports subscription, as part of the new ‘total’ package (see below). Alternatively, viewers can opt just to access Viaplay’s film and series catalogue.
Viaplay promises to offer UK audiences a broad selection of its most successful series and films, all with English subtitles. The service will initially skew towards popular genres such as Nordic noir, drama and young adult.
The Viaplay Originals available at launch include the Nordic noir series ‘Cell 8’ with Freddie Wise, ‘Fenris’, ‘Honour’, the Canneseries winner ‘Partisan’ and ‘Those Who Kill’; the dramas ‘Harmonica’, ‘Love Me’ and ‘Pernille’; the young adult shows ‘A Class Apart’, ‘Delete Me’, ‘Threesome’ and ‘Thunder in My Heart’; and many more.
Viewers can also access Viaplay’s fast-expanding documentary slate, with Nordic and international productions such as ‘Natascha Kampusch – A Lifetime in Prison’, ‘Operation Cannabis’, ‘Superswede’ and ‘The Prize of Silence’.
The curated third-party content is from Nordic and international partners and includes the acclaimed films ‘As in Heaven’, ‘Borg vs. McEnroe’, ‘I Am Zlatan’, ‘Margrete: Queen of the North’ and the Oscar-nominees ‘A Royal Affair’ and ‘The Square’; the hit dramas ‘Catch and Release’, ‘Exit’, ‘Gåsmamman’, ‘Thin Blue Line’ and ‘Wallander’.
How much does it cost?
Viaplay will offer two options:
- Films & Series only: £3.99 per month
- Total (including Sport): £14.99 per month respectively. You can also commit to 12 months and pay £11.99 a month.
You can pay using a Visa or a MasterCard issued by a UK bank. You can also use PayPal.
Where can I watch Viaplay?
The Viaplay streaming app will be available on
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- Google TV
- Smart TV (recent Samsung and LG TV models, on Sony, Philips, TCL TVs that support Android TV)
- PC and Mac -www.viaplay.com
- Android mobile and tablets
The device list is subject to change.
Can I watch Viaplay on Sky or Virgin?
- You can watch the Viaplay TV channels on these platforms, but you won’t have access to the streaming app on Sky/Virgin devices
Viaplay will replace Premier Sport and FreeSports with Viaplay Sports 1, Viaplay Sports 2 and Viaplay Xtra. If you currently access Premier Sports and FreeSports through these platforms, you will continue to be able to watch Viaplay Sports.
Viaplay has plans to add its drama and movie offering to its TV channels in the future.
I am a Sky or Premier Player subscriber. Do I need to take any action?
Premier Sports issued an email with information to Sky and Premier Player subscribers informing you what this change means for you. If you’ve not got it, check your junk/spam email folder.
Viaplay is offering Sky viewers a package that includes the live channels via Sky, plus Viaplay Total. However, you’ll need to access Viaplay Total on a device other than Sky’s receiver.
How many devices can I have attached to my account?
You can watch 2 streams at the same time and use up to 5 devices within a 24 hour period.
Viaplay says some sports rights only allow 1 stream per event, but hasn’t confirmed which these are. You’ll see an error message if you try to stream on more devices than is allowed.
Can I download offline content?
Most series and movies, but not sport, can be viewed offline on Android/iOSmobile devices (phone/tablet). But the downloads will be stored on the device’s internal memory and cannot be stored on any external devices or memory cards.
Updated 01/11/2022 09:27