Viewers in the Republic of Ireland can now sign up to Sky Stream, providing access to Sky’s internet based TV service without needing a Sky Glass TV.
As in the UK, Sky Stream provides a simplified way of accessing Sky’s top channels, streamed over home Wi-Fi to your existing TV. The dish-free TV service includes access to over 150 channels in the Republic of Ireland and 100,000 hours of aggregated content. The service is delivered via the Sky Stream puck, a small device that fits in the palm of your hand.
The launch comes 11 months after Sky Glass arrived in the Republic of Ireland. With Sky Stream, Sky hopes to attract a wider range of audiences who want dish-free access to Sky, without having to replace their existing TV. Sky is also planning longer-term to migrate from satellite broadcasting – its current deal with satellite operator SES expires later this decade. As a result, Sky Stream may at some point become the default way of accessing Sky for those who don’t want a Sky Glass TV.
▶ How to get Sky Stream in Ireland
- Available now from sky.com/ie/tv/stream, in Sky retail stores or through Sky customer services.
- Sky is currently offering Sky TV+Netflix, starting from €30 a month (new customers, 12 month contract).
▶ Things to be aware of…
- The Sky Stream puck does not have an internal hard drive to store programmes. Therefore, it is reliant on either cloud-based recordings or copies of programmes found on the relevant broadcaster’s on-demand/catch-up service.
- Some channels available on satellite are not available on Sky Stream.
- The Sky Stream puck has 1x HDMI port, 230 v AC port and Ethernet port.
Channels on Sky Stream in the Republic of Ireland
- Sky Stream includes all RTÉ channels in HD, plus Virgin Media One, Two and Three and TG4 in HD, alongside all Sky channels. The channel line-up also includes BBC One Northern Ireland HD and BBC Two Northern Ireland HD.
- But +1 (timeshift) and adult channels aren’t available on Sky Stream. Unlike Sky Q, you can’t use manual tuning to access UK channels like ITV1 or Channel 5.
- SEE ALSO: List of channels available on Sky Stream / Sky Glass in the Republic of Ireland.
Speaking about the launch of Sky Stream in Ireland, JD Buckley, CEO, Sky Ireland, said:
“We are thrilled to announce the launch of Sky Stream in Ireland. Sky Stream revolutionises the way customers can access Sky and all of their favourite apps. Simply order your Sky Stream puck, receive it the following day and plug it into any TV to get the full Sky experience. There is no satellite dish or installation required. Whether you want to watch Succession, Dreamland or Stranger Things, Sky Stream has it all and, as it is built with the Sky Entertainment OS, Sky Stream customers can expect the highest standard in viewing and user experience.
“Investment in innovation is one of our top priorities, as we continue to provide the best products and services to our customers. The launch of Sky Stream in Ireland comes just under a year after we launched Sky Glass here. Sky Glass and Sky Stream open the world of Sky to customers who were not able to access our services through satellite.”